Details Home Inspections, LLC.

360.823.3034 WA Licensed Home Inspector #1533 OR OCHI#2103 Home Energy Score Assessor

Lead-based Paint Can Make You Sick

Details Home Inspections in Vancouver WA is frequently asked about lead-based paint. It’s one of the things we know we don’t want in our home even if we don’t quite know what it is or what it does.

What exactly is lead?

Lead is a naturally occurring element that’s found just about everywhere. It possesses many qualities that make it ideal for the construction industry.

There’s only one problem. Lead is a neurotoxin. It’s very bad for humans and animals. It’s especially dangerous to children and pregnant women.

If it’s so toxic why is it in paint?

Lead’s toxicity wasn’t really known until the 19th century. It was used in paint because it’s opaque and water resistant.

Does the paint in my house have lead?

If your home was built after 1978 it probably doesn’t have lead-based paint. The older the home the greater chance it has of containing lead-based paint.

Lead-based paint isn’t necessarily going to make your family sick. Problems arise when lead-based paint begins to deteriorate. When that happens, dust is created. The dust, which contains lead, is inhaled and that’s when people get sick.

Young children tend to put things in their mouths and/or bite things. So, any place covered in lead-based paint that a child might bite, for example, a window sill or door frame, can also be hazardous.

If you think your home may have lead-based paint, contact Details Home Inspections in Vancouver WA to have the professionals check it out!


Refund Policy | Privacy Policy | Details Home Inspections, LLC - Vancouver WA - Washougal WA - Clark County WA | Vancouver Office